At Wickedfood Cooking School, we pride ourselves at staying current. To this end, we continually develop new cooking classes, both for our classes for individuals, as well as a cooking classes for groups. For the month of February, we are offering an exciting new Greek cooking class for groups, with an added incentive that if you book during February, you will get a 10% discount, see Wickedfood Cooking School news below.
Valentine’s day falls on Sunday. This year we are offering two Valentine’s Day cooking classes, one on Saturday evening and the following on Sunday afternoon. These classes are filling up fast so contact the school soon if you would like to make a booking.
Hope to see you at one of the classes
To stay current, we will be introducing a new cooking class for groups each month this year. These classes are ideal for a variety of groups’ cooking classes including teambuilding, product launches, special birthday parties, kitchen teas, bachelor parties, or any other group function, with cooking as a theme (click here to see our full programme). And as an added incentive, if you book and pay for the class during the course of February, you will receive a 10% discount on the class’ published price (subject to our standard terms and conditions):
Greek group class (code Greek 3/1) – (R 4 310 per counter excluding VAT).
- Tzatziki – cucumber and yoghurt dip.
- Cannellini bean soup – one of Greece’s national dishes, a hearty vegetarian soup.
- Moussaka – two classic ingredients, minced meat and aubergine, combined.
- Savoury rice – popular throughout the Eastern Mediterranean for special occasions.
- Greek salad – with tomatoes, cucumber, olives and feta cheese.
- Baklava – layered pastry with nuts and syrup.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12 as this gives everyone hands-on experience and keeps the class small enough for maximum learning.
- Monday 8 February at 6pm – Cookbook of the month – Madhur Jaffrey’s Ultimate Curry Bible (R390pp). Billed as the definitive curry book, by arguably the world authority on Indian food, this book looks at the very best curry recipes from India as well as around the world. Students will learn the secrets of cooking 7 of the most interesting dishes from the book, including chicken-coconut soup, Squid in a tomato-chilli sauce, red beef curry, mixed vegetable curry, red bean curry and how to make Chapattis.
- Saturday 13 February at 6pm or Sunday 14 February at 4pm – Romantic Valentine’s dinner, easy summer entertaining (R720 per couple). Join the staff at the Cooking School with the love of your life for a Valentine’s dinner with a difference. Not only will you get to enjoy a delicious 4-course dinner, but you will learn the secrets of how to cook it. Included in the price is a welcome glass of sparkling wine, house wine while preparing the food, and some specialist wines, complementing the food, with the meal. Space is limited to 30 students per class, so book early.
- Monday 15 February at 6pm – 30 minute meals (R380pp). How to prepare 6 nutritious quick and easy meals for two. Dishes include Thai vegetable curry, Chicken breast with feta and pasta, Chilli steak wraps, penne with a rich tomato vodka cream sauce, Fried fish with oven chips and homemade burgers.
Please contact the school should you wish to make a booking:
Looking for info on food?
The Wickedfood blog took off in a big way in 2009, with lots of questions coming in from our readers. If you have any food-related question, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Cookbook of the week
Over the last twenty years, Rose and Ruth have been at the helm of one of the iconic London restaurants, River Cafe, where a variety of the world’s top chefs and TV personalities have cut their teeth, including Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Their latest book, River Cafe Classic Italian Cookbook, is Rose and Ruth’s personal interpretation of Italian home recipes… Click Here for more.
Click Here to see Wickedfood Cooking School’s top 10 food-related books for 2009.
Did you know:
Fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam) is widely known to be a firm staple in South-East Asian cooking, but did you know that a similar condiment, garum or liquamen, was just as ubiquitous in the Classical Greek and Roman kitchens? In both cases, its pungent aroma (as the sauce is derived from fermenting fish) belies the rich umami flavour that even the tiniest spoonful can add to food.
Food quote of the week:
“The mere smell of cooking can evoke a whole civilization“ – Fernand Braudel
Our favourite ingredient:
As a general rule of thumb, the larger the chilli, the milder it is. Smaller chillies tend to be much hotter because they contain proportionally more seeds and veins than the larger varieties. Those seeds and veins can contain up to 80 per cent of a chilli’s potency in the form of capsaicin, the powerful compound that gives chillies their fiery nature …. Click Here for more.
Recipe of the week
The recipe below is taken from one of Rose and Ruth’s earlier cookbooks, A Taste of the River Cafe. These potatoes are delicious with any roast, or with grilled fish. …. Click Here for the recipe.
The Wickedfood Team
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studio. Classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.