Well, Christmas is less than a month away. Do not miss our next newsletter which will be full of great Christmas recipes. And speaking of Christmas treats, Wickedfood will be participating in a delicious food market in Magaliesburg from 10am on Sunday the 9th of December 2012. Booking essential, read more below.
Our January programme is now up on our website, see the outline below. As always, we have some exciting culinary adventures on offer, hopefully a class for everybody, whether you want to learn the basics of cooking, how to make pastas and sauces, flavours of the Italian table, or some spicy Thai.
Looking for info on food?
If you have any food-related questions, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wickedfood Cooking School news
The Cooking class programme for January is up on the internet, and bookings are now open for January. Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12 giving everyone hands-on experience and keeping the cooking class small enough for maximum learning. These cooking classes are conducted by our senior instructors who have extensive experience in the food industry and share a variety of additional cooking tips throughout the cooking class.
- Sunday 13 January at 4pm – The Naked Chef (R430pp). Stop making reservations, and start cooking dinner! Jamie Oliver introduces us to his concept of naked food, and shares his simple, feisty, and delicious recipes that combine bold flavours with fresh ingredients. Oliver’s cookbooks appeal to anyone who wants to prepare fantastic meals but doesn’t want to spend all night cooking. This Jamie Oliver cooking class proves that even kitchen novices can make perfect foolproof roast chicken with roast potatoes, fresh tomato and sweet chilli soup, homemade pasta with mushrooms, roast butternut and fruit crumble.
- Monday 14 January at 6pm – 30 Minute Meals (R430pp). Trying to juggle work and home commitments can be tough in this day and age, and the statement of ‘who has time to cook these days’ is on the increase. In this ‘30 Minute Meals’ cooking class we show participants how to produce quick and easy 30-minute meals that are delicious and well balanced. Dishes include, Thai vegetable curry, chicken breast with feta and pasta, chilli steak wraps, penne with a rich tomato vodka cream sauce, fried fish with oven chips and homemade burgers.
- Sunday 20 January at 4pm – Classic Italian dishes (R430pp). Note that there is no such thing as ‘Italian cuisine’ with a unique nation-wide tradition of preparing food. Our Italian cooking class showcases the classic Italian dishes that every Italian food lover must have in their cook book. 6 hearty dishes include chicken liver crostinis, zucchini frittata, pasta with a clam sauce, Osso Buca, polenta and pannacotta.
- Monday 21 January at 6pm – Southeast Asian – Thai Class (R430pp). Thai cuisine places emphasis on lightly prepared dishes with strong aromatic components. Thai cuisine is also known for being quite spicy as well as balancing the four fundamental taste senses in each dish or the overall meal: sour, sweet, salty, and (optional) bitter. Learn how to balance these tastes in this Southeast Asian, Thai cooking class. Dishes include fried spare-ribs, Tom Yum soup, yellow curry chicken, spicy glass noodle salad, Phat Thai and a black rice with coconut pudding.
- Sunday 27 January at 4pm – North African Morocco tagines (R430pp). The exotic flavours of North Africa reach their full expression in the cooking of Morocco. In this Moroccan cooking class we learn how to prepare a delicious North African feast including harira; lamb, chicken and pumpkin tagines; couscous; and coiled almond pastry.
- Monday 28 January at 6pm – Making filled pasta and accompanying sauces (R430pp). Making pasta is really easy, and fresh pasta tastes better too. Learn the secrets of making pasta from scratch in this pasta cooking class. We also include fillings and sauces for these unique pasta shapes. Dishes covered in the class include cheese and ham ravioli with a tomato sauce, meat filled Agnolotti, spinach and ricotta tortellini, cappelletti filled with sweet potatoes and ravioli with apple and pecan nut stuffing.
- An Earth market where Slow Food Magalies Valley members will be selling food products grown and processed in the valley, many with a Christmas theme. Products on sale will include free-range pork and suckling pig, large free-range chickens, turkeys and geese, award winning artisanal goats’ milk cheese, seasonal vegetables, preserves, smoked hams and local olive oil.
- Picnic – members of Slow Food Magalies Valley will run food stalls with the appropriate food items for a picnic. All items will be made from seasonal produce grown in the valley. There will be various artisanal beers (and ginger beer) available as well as a full bar.
Booking essential, click here for more information or to book.
10% January discount
Wickedfood Cooking School is offering a 10% discount on any bookings made this year for January and February 2013 for group cooking classes. Don’t delay… make sure you begin the new year with a big bang! To redeem this special offer, please quote “January/February special“ when making a booking.
Cookbook of the week
A bold taste explosion of Asia and the fresh, lively combination of exotic, spicy ingredients. Bill Granger has drawn on elements from all over Asia for this, his 9th cookbook. . …. Click here to read more.
Click Here for reviews of all our cookbooks.
Food quote of the week
“Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.” – Alex Levine
Recipe of the week
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.