Nothing beats the very Vietnamese combination of white pepper and lemon, so it’s always worth having both in the kitchen. This delicious recipe comes from Bill’s Everyday Asian, a bold taste explos
ion of Asia. Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients, most of them are readily available in a well-stocked kitchen. It’s the combination of herbs and spices that adds the fresh flavour to this quick and easy dish.
3 cloves of garlic
2 large green chillies, diced
2 lemongrass stalks, white part only, very finely sliced, or grated zest of 2 lemons
1t sea salt
800g skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into chunks
3T light-flavoured oil
2 celery sticks, cut into batons
1 bunch of asparagus (about 200g), trimmed and halved
2T fish sauce
1T soy sauce
2T lemon juice
2t granulated sugar
3 spring onions, cut into batons
- Pound the garlic, turmeric, chilli, lemongrass and salt to a paste in a pestle and mortar.
- Combine with the chicken in a bowl and mix well. Cover and put in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large frying-pan over a high heat. Add half the oil and half the chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Remove and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.
- Return the chicken to the wok, add the celery and asparagus and stir-fry for two minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, spring onion and some white pepper and heat for a further minute.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.