This recipe is based on one that we use at Wickedfood Cooking School in our baking classes, specializing in chocolate. These chewy chocolate squares are one of the best brownie recipes around, as well as quick and easy to make. They use cocoa powder instead of chocolate, use a good quality cocoa powder. Once you have mastered it, try the variations below.
45g cocoa powder
250g castor sugar
60g self-raising flour
90g walnuts or pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and two sides of a 20cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a heavy-based saucepan melt the butter over a low heat, then stir in the cocoa, mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, then stir in the butter/cocoa mixture.
- Sift the flour over the top and fold it into the mixture. Then fold in the nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just cooked through and springy to the touch. Brownies are at their best when moist, so be careful not to over bake them.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the tin. Once completely cold, turn out onto the board and cut into squares.
- Leave plain.
- Or for an even more delicious finish, spread with a chocolate glaze on the cooled brownies, before cutting them into squares.
For more chocolate brownie recipes Click here.
Runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.