Taken from our cookbook of the week, India cookbook, this delicious dry chicken curry, originates from Punjab. Quick and easy to prepare, serve with rice or dhal, or for something a bit more substantial, try our Chard and New Potato Curry. if you prefer, instead of a whole chicken, use drumsticks and thighs.
1 chicken – skinned and cut into 10-12 pieces.
1 cup of ghee (clarified butter)
Coriander leaves for garnish
1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
2 green chillies – de-seeded and chopped
6-8 cloves fresh garlic – crushed
8-10 black peppercorns
2t ground coriander
1t chilli powder
1t ground aniseed
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a spice grinder or small blender and process until ground and mixed together.
- Rub the mixture all over the chicken pieces in a shallow dish, cover and set aside in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Bring ½ cup of water with ½t of salt to the boil in a heavy-based pan or pot.
- Add the chicken and bring back to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 25min or until chicken is dry and cooked through.
- Heat the ghee in a large pan over low heat and fry the chicken pieces for 10 minutes until golden.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
For more recipes from this book, click here
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients. We’ve just launched a new and exciting class, Wickedfood Master Cook. Think Master Chef with a fun twist.