Tarts, written by Tina Bester, is a wonderfully fresh cookbook which has taken the art of baking tarts to new heights. Tina Bester is refered to as the queen of tarts for very good reason, her tarts are amazing! This week we try out a wonderfully fresh take on the classic salmon breakfast, a smoked salmon, watercress and crème fraîche tart. Perfect as part of a Sunday morning breakfast or brunch.
4 sheets phyllo pastry
30g melted butter
200g smoked salmon
250ml crème fraîche
2 large eggs
1t whole-grain mustard
course sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to180ºC. Place a sheet of phyllo pastry on a flat surface. Brush with some melted butter. Lay another sheet on top and brush with butter. Repeat with the other two sheets.
2. Place the pastry over the tart tin and gently press it into the tin. Trim the edges to about 2cm above the top of the tin.
3. Place half the watercress in the bottom of the tart and top with the salmon.
4. Mix the crème fraîche, eggs and mustard together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salmon and bake for 35-40 minutes until the cream filling has set.
5. Serve warm topped with fresh watercress and an avocado salad on the side.