Ostrich neck is an excellent alternative to oxtail, as it is similar in appearance when cooked, but with no fat and half the price. This dish is another Wickedfood Cooking School favorite that we teach in our winter cooking classes.
100ml cooking oil
2kg ostrich neck, cleaned and cut up
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 large onions, diced
1 bunch celery, sliced (no leaves)
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
Sprig fresh rosemary
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 bay leaves
4T tomato paste
1/2 bottle good red wine
6 to 8 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
1x410g can butterbeans, drained
- In a large sturdy pot heat the oil until very hot and seal the meat until browned all over, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onions, celery, rosemary, garlic and bay leaves. Braise the vegetables until they are glazed about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir in. Add the red wine and bring to the boil.
- Add the water, cover the pot, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for about one hour or until the neck is nearly cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the potatoes and cook for a further 30 minutes or until tender. Add the butterbeans and heat through. Serve with yellow rice.
For more information on venison click here
Here are a few venison other recipes that the Wickedfood Cooking School team enjoyed tasting:
Wickedfood Cooking school runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these classes are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.