At Wickedfood cookery school we use this basic red wine sauce in our cooking classes for many red meat roasts. It makes the base for a gravy for any game recipe. add a little extra ingredient here and there as for the different flavours.
1kg beef bones
2T tomato paste
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1/2 bunch celery, chopped
2 leeks, sliced
1 cup red wine
2 litres water
Bouquet garni – (thyme, bay leaves, parsley stalks etc.)
1/2t black peppercorns
Little flour to thicken
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place bones in a baking tray and bake at 200°C for about 1 hour until browned.
- Place bones (and any fat that was rendered) in a large stock pot.
- Deglaze the baking tray with a little red wine.
- Add it, together with the tomato paste to the stock pot and cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add vegetables and cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Add water, bouquet garni, peppercorns and remaining red wine. Bring to the boil, turn heat down and simmer for 6-8 hours.
- Strain and thicken sauce with a little flour. Season to taste before serving.
For more information on venison click here
Here are a few venison other recipes that the Wickedfood Cooking School team enjoyed tasting:
Wickedfood Cooking school runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these classes are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.