Winter is definitely here, cold frosty mornings, but perfect days for outdoor entertaining. In our recipe archives, we have some great outdoor cooking ideas, click here for the recipes. It is also pumpkin time at the moment, click here for some great pumpkin ideas. And if you want some more great cooking ideas don't forget that we run public cooking classes every Monday and every second Sunday. For June we take a real trip around the world, starting off with our Portuguese cooking class, with special emphasis on the South African-inspired Portuguese table, followed by the Vietnamese cooking class, looking at this healthy cuisine with its fresh flavours, and then our Lebanese cooking class, where we look at the classics (our head instructor for this class is part Lebanese and has grown up eating and cooking this delicious food).
Looking for info on food?
If you have any food-related questions, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12 as this gives everyone hands-on experience and keeps the cooking class small enough for maximum learning. These cooking classes are conducted by our senior instructors who have extensive experience in the food industry and share a variety of additional cooking tips throughout the cooking class.
- Sunday 05 June at 4pm – Flavours of the South African Portuguese Table (R360pp). In this Portuguese cooking class we blend a mix of traditional and contemporary Portuguese food which has been adapted to a South African palate which includes trinchado, chicken livers, caldo verde, chicken peri-peri, Portuguese salad and crème caramel.
- Monday 06 June at 6pm – Healthy flavours of Vietnam (R370 per person per class). For an example of how to eat healthfully, simply, and well every day, look to Vietnam. Vietnam has one of the leanest and freshest cuisines imaginable. In this Vietnamese cooking class we cook classic Vietnamese dishes, including fried springrolls, Vietnamese hot and sour fish soup, caramel chicken, squid salad, and cocon
ut crème caramel.
- Monday 13 June at 6pm – Classic Lebanese dishes (R380pp). The cuisine of Lebanon epitomizes the best of the Mediterranean diet, which is highly regarded for its positive health benefits. This Lebanese cooking class shows a selection of the most popular Lebanese party food including hummous with ground lamb, kibbi naye and deep-fried kibbi balls, Lebanese salad, bread pies and osmaliyah, a delicious Lebanese sweet pastry.
- Sunday 19 June at 4pm – 30 minute meals (R380pp). In this cooking class we show you how to prepare 6 nutritious quick and easy dishes which include Thai vegetable curry, chicken breast with feta and pasta, chilli steak wraps, penne with a rich tomato vodka cream sauce, Fried fish with oven chips and homemade burgers.
In One Perfect Ingredient top British chef, Marcus Wareing, takes a new approach to cookbooks, by grouping chapters around ingredients, rather than the conventional starters, main courses and desserts. He guides the reader through 150 recipes to make tasty, enticing, imaginative food from the kind of basic ingredients to be found in any kitchen. All the ingredients are easy to come by, and the recipes are chosen with the home cook in mind. … Click Here for the full story.
Food quote of the week
“Old people shouldn't eat health foods. They need all the preservatives they can get.” – Robert Orben
- In the first series of the Great British Menu competition on BBC Lifestyle, Marcus Wareing won the competition with his Custard tart recipe. This winning Custard tart was served as a dessert to the Queen and her guests at a banquet celebrating her 80th birthday. ….Click Here for all our recipes.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.