This beautiful and delicious tart is quick and easy to make can be served warm out the oven or at room temperature for picnics and lunch boxes.
300g puff pastry
1 egg yolk beaten with 2T water to glaze
2-3 medium pears peeled, halved, cored and thinly sliced.
50g castor sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
75g butter softened
75g icing sugar
1 medium egg lightly beaten
75g ground almonds
2T plain flour
½ t almond essence
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 5mm thickness and place in a 20cm tart tin so that the base and sides are covered and trim away any excess pastry. Brush the rim with glaze and allow to rest while making the filling.
- Place all the sugar syrup ingredients in a small pot and place on a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved then increase the heat and allow to simmer for ±10 minutes until thickened and allow to cool.
- Beat the egg and sugar together and slowly add in the egg once fully incorporated add the flour, almonds and almond essence and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Gently mix the cooled sugar syrup into the pears and leave for a few minutes to macerate.
Pour the frangipane mix into the pastry shell and spread out evenly, drain the pears and arrange on top in a concentric circle.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 34-45 minutes or until pears are tender and filling is golden brown.
- Brush over remaining syrup and allow to cool.
Serve with crème fraiche or vanilla ice-cream.
Wickedfood cooking school runs Johannesburg cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Cooking courses are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.