Thai food is one of the great cuisines of the world. With its subtropical climate, it produces almost anything which can be eaten. Being on the crossroads between north and southern Asia, it has a diversity of flavours, foods from the south are hotter than their northern cousins. The Mekong River, is a lifeline into the interior and through the river, culinary traditions have spread.
Street food plays an important part in everyday meals offering a kaleidoscope of spicy surprises around every corner. The Wickedfood team has spent collectively over two years in Southeast Asia, visiting the major cooking schools throughout the region, as well as spending numerous hours with street food vendors, learning the secrets of this intriguing cuisine. In this cooking class, we will teach you how to make a variety of easy Thai Street food dishes, for a casual dinner party.
Included in the price is tea and coffee on arrival, extensive notes, and a delicious Thai Street Food lunch at the end of the cooking class.
The programme for the day is as follows:
- 9:30am – Tea, coffee on arrival;
- 10:00am – Introduction and hands-on cooking class on how to prepare;
- Fresh springrolls – a classic snack, wrapped in rice-paper;
- Saté – strips of meat with a delicious peanut dipping sauce, one of Thailand’s most popular streetfood, grilled over coals;
- Tom Ka Gai – chicken and coconut milk soup, a head-clearing meal-in-one-soup, served with rice or noodles.
- Boom bai pork curry – pork, cooked slowly in a special curry paste with a rich coconut cream;
- River rice – cooked rice flavoured with lemongrass, shrimp and shallot paste.
- Phat Thai – quick fried noodles found on most of the street corners, often eaten as a quick snack in between meals;
- Green pawpaw salad – A spicy street salad, just as delicious with strips of cucumber, grated carrots, or strips of green beans.
- Coconut crème caramel – originally French, but now a firm favourite with a delicate coconut flavour;
- Sit down to enjoy the meal you have prepared.
- ± 2:30pm depart.
When: Sunday 7 August at 9:30am
Where: Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, Hekpoort, just 65km from Fourways in the beautiful Magalies Valley;
Cost: R495pp, No children under 16