Asian cooking is extremely popular at Wickedfood Cooking School, especially our Thai and Indian cooking classes. In July we'll be offering both an Indian and Thai cooking class for individuals, and in anticipation of these classes, we have listed some of our favourite Asian cookbooks in this week's blog. Happy reading.
Looking for info on food?
If you have any food-related questions, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12 as this gives everyone hands-on experience and keeps the cooking class small enough for maximum learning. These cooking classes are conducted by our senior instructors who have extensive experience in the food industry and share a variety of additional cooking tips throughout the cooking class.
- Sunday 03 July at 4pm – Sweet Treats – working with Chocolate (R390pp). Learn the secrets of working with chocolate in this chocolate cooking class, including decadent chocolate cake, chocolate truffles, brownies, choc chip cookies and layered chocolate mousse.
- Monday 04 July at 6pm – Gordon Ramsay – Cooking for Friends (R390 pp). This Gordon Ramsay cooking class is based on his book Cooking for Friends. Love him or hate him, he certainly knows his food. In this book, we see a very different side of him, more relaxed, cooking some best-loved versions of classic British dishes for family and friends, including Shropshire Summer soup, Farfalle with bacon, peas and sage, Braised chicken thighs.
- Monday 11 July at 6pm – Thai classics (R370pp). Thai cooking is very different to modern western cooking but internationally famous. In this Thai cooking class we teach you how to balance the 5 flavours of this cuisine in the following dishes, which include fish cakes chicken and coconut milk soup, spicy grilled squid sal
ad and Thai-fried rice.
- Sunday 17 July at 4pm – 30 minute meals (R380pp). A cooking class for the housewife, the executive, the newly single and the I’m-too-busy-to-cooks out there. Come learn 6 healthy, quick and easy 30 minute meals which include a vegetarian stir-fry, red chicken curry, pepper steak, sun-dried tomato pesto, fish with almonds, and pizza
- Monday 18 July at 6pm – Indian delights (R370pp). Indian cuisine is distinguished by its sophisticated use of spices and herbs which differ according to community, region, and state. Join us in discovering the exotic flavours of authentic Indian cooking in this spicy Indian cooking class. Dishes include lamb kofta, fish in a yoghurt sauce, vegetarian biryani, parrathas and carrot halva.
Asian cooking classes are our most popular genre at Wickedfood Cooking School. We get numerous requests for recommendations of good Asian cookbooks. Click Here for reviews of some of our favourite Asian Cookbooks.
Food quote of the week
“There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who love chocolate, and communists”. – Leslie Moak Murray in “Murray's Law“
One of Neil Perry’s favourite Asian dishes, from his book Simply Asian – a book that is the base of one of the Asian cooking classes at Wickedfood Cooking School. In his version of Ma Po Tofu, the tofu is kept in cubes rather than being chopped up with the pork mince – this way you can enjoy the jelly-like texture of the silken tofu. Serve as a lunch or light dinner for two, with rice. . ….Click Here for all our recipes.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.