You may remember Katie from the TV series which chronicled the couple’s trip to Tuscany to rediscover Giancarlo, her husband’s, culinary roots, and set up a cooking school.
In The Italian Cookery Course she has collated recipes, techniques and ingredients to create a unique compendium of Italian food. The book will guide you through the vast collection of famous recipes and lesser-known regional dishes, with clear instruction on how to replicate them at home. Each chapter contains ‘masterclasses’ on technique, revealing the practical secrets of Italian cooking and giving the reader new confidence in the kitchen. It has some great sections including:
- Italian breads – how to make your own starter dough, perfect ciabatta, Focaccia, and pizza;
- a great chapter on antipasti, including a guide on Italian cold meats cuts, demystifying various hams from Italy and even how to make your own Bresaola;
- Making pasta – adding colour and filling, as well as some mouthwatering sauces;
- a good section on Italian cheeses and how to use them; and
- An formative section on preserving.
Even if you have a host of other Italian cookery books, this book is well worth the purchase.
Wickedfood Cooking School in Johannesburg runs cookery classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios in Sunninghill. Cooking classes are run in the mornings and evenings 5 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.