Halloween is becoming big around the world. One of the dilemmas is what to do with the leftover pumpkin after the party. Flesh freezes very well as is, just cube and pop into the freezer. A wide variety of delicious dishes can be made from it. To prepare, ether boil without adding any water, or roast in an oven until soft. Then use for a variety recipes as outlined in the references below. In this fun take on pumpkin pie, adapted from a Bon Appétit recipe, a little whiskey really puts the “Scotch” in butterscotch.
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
10T chilled butter, cut into 2cm cubes
3T (or more) ice water
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar, divided
2T tablespoons butter
1/4 cup whiskey
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup pure pumpkin
3 large eggs
1t ground cinnamon
1/2t ground ginger
1/4t ground cloves
1/4t ground allspice
1 cup chilled whipping cream
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter; using on/off turns, process until very coarse meal forms. Add 3T ice water; using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if too dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap and chill 1 hour (take care not to overwork the dough).
- Roll out dough to a 30cm round. Transfer to a 22cm-diameter glass pie dish. Fold edges under and crimp decoratively. Chill dough until firm, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead). Cover and keep chilled.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- generic propecia review
Line crust with sheet of foil. Fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil with beans. Bake until just beginning to turn golden brown, piercing with fork if bubbles form, about 15 minutes longer. Cool completely.
- Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter, and salt in medium saucepan; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil until deep brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the whiskey, then cream (the mixture will bubble vigorously) and whisk until smooth. Return to medium heat and stir until most caramel bits dissolve. Strain the butterscotch mixture into a small bowl. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and pumpkin in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs, then spices.
- Add the reserved butterscotch mixture; whisk to blend. (Can be made 1 day ahead). Cover and chill. Re-whisk before using.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake until just set, about 50 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 3 hours. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Store at room temperature.)
- Using electric mixer, beat cream, sugar, and whiskey in medium bowl until peaks form. (Can be made 4 hours ahead.) Cover and chill. Re-whisk if necessary before serving.
- Cut pie into wedges. Serve with dollop of whipped cream.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.