Valentines day around the world has become big business. At the end of the day however the best way to someone’s heart is through their stomach, what better way to show your affection, than to cook them a mouth-watering meal. And to go the extra mile, choose ingredients with aphrodisiac qualities. Instead of recipes, this week we give you menu ideas and point you to website recipes. A number of our favourite ingredients have secret aphrodisiac powers, so incorporate them in your cooking – oysters, asparagus, garlic, avocados, basil, figs, almonds, bananas and chocolate.
How about taking the morning off and have a romantic breakfast in the kitchen together.
- Start off with a banana smoothie, delicious and refreshing, and for even more flavour, add a few slices of mango, which are in season at present, or for a bit more punch, try a spicy bloody Mary.
- Following with either Banana pancakes with crispy bacon and syrup. For a really decadent indulgence, Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, not as complicated as it may seem, if you are well organized.
Romantic dinner for two
If you’re doing a dinner after a busy day in the office, then keep it simple. Again with a little planning you can put something really spectacular together. Open a good bottle of South African sparkling wine – Cap Classique is the name given to South Africa’s version of champagne or quality sparkling wine.
- Unless you have a complete aversion to them, start off with 3 to 6 oysters each, either plain, or with an oriental dressing. If you don’t like them raw, then try Oysters Kilpatrick, grilled with bacon and bread crumbs.
- And if oysters are not your thing, then try a delicious fresh salad of fig & mozzarella, a spicy garlic seafood bisque or asparagus, mozzarella & prosciutto parcels.
- For main course you can either keep it simple, or really go to town. Chicken is by far the easiest, try either a one pot prepare-ahead Chilli chicken, just reheat and add some garlic bread and a salad. And for the more adventurous, Chicken Cordon Bleu. If red meat is your thing, then there is nothing better than a really good Rib-eye steak with chips, basil hollandaise and a salad. If you really want to impress, then try warm crayfish and potato salad with truffled mayonnaise, a decadent restaurant-style main course.
- To finish the meal you should definitely do chocolate, either a Gordon Ramsay Chocolate fondant or James Martin’s Chocolate & almond puds with boozy hot chocolate sauce, both make-ahead puds that are easy, and look glamorous. If however chocolate is definitely not for you, then go for a simple Creme Brulee, also a wow dessert that can be made ahead of time.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.