Tomatillo chilli Relish
The tomatillo, part of the cape gooseberry family, originates from Mexico and is known there as miltomate, tomate verde, or tomate. It is more popular than red tomatoes. When roasted, they have a delicious thick consistency as they have lower water content and a better sweet/sour balance than tomatoes.
At Wickedfood Earth Farm we have been growing a wide variety of organic tomatillos for the last 10 years. For this relish, we blend the different varieties of tomatillos with onion, a selection of hot chillies, and ginger to create our own unique relish.
At the cooking school we use it to liven up a variety of dishes:
- Mix with equal quantities of mayonnaise and smooth cream cheese, for a spicy dip for raw vegetables or chips.
- Fold a tablespoon or two into mayonnaise to give chicken, potato or cabbage salad a bit more zing;
- Delicious with toasted chicken mayo and lettuce sandwich, with crispy bacon, roast beef or lamb sandwich;
- Serve on the side with chicken liver pâté or pork terrine and pork pies;
- Add to hamburgers and boerewors rolls with caramelized onion for a bit of zing;
- Great side with a good breakfast fry-up;
- Thinly spread onto chicken breasts, pork chops or kebabs before grilling or braaiing.
4 in stock
Our tomatillo chilli relish is made at the Wickedfood Earth Farm, where our food gardens and orchards are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs. The extensive orchards have over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens are internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we bottle all excess fruit and vegetables at the peak of their ripeness. All our fruit and vegetables are grown along organic lines free of insecticides, fertilizers or any other poisons. We hand-make small batches of tomatillo chilli relish as well as a wide range of preservative-free preserves, jams, chutneys, relishes, sauces and other bottled fruit. This ensures that we do not need to over-process, which results in concentrated, natural flavours.
|7 × 7 × 11 cm