This unusual, sweet preserve is served with hot tea or coffee all around the old Ottoman Empire, from Morocco to Lebanon. It is a classic preserve, with chunks of crunchy, fragrant, sweet, pumpkin in a ginger syrup, with just a hint of sour to cut through the spicy sweetness.
At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we produce three different Pumpkin konfyts:
- Plain Pumpkin Konfyt, with orange peel and ginger;
- Spicy Pumpkin Konfyt, with orange peel, ginger, Middle Eastern spices and a hint of chilli;
- Pumpkin Konfyt with Chilli, with orange peel, ginger, spices and a good dose of chilli for those who like it hot.
The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens and orchards are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs, and the extensive orchards have over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens are internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we bottle all excess fruit and vegetables at the peak of their ripeness. All our fruit and vegetables are grown along organic lines free of insecticides, fertilizers or any other poisons. We hand make small batches of a wide range of preservative-free preserves, jams, chutneys, relishes, sauces and bottled fruit. This ensures that we do not need to over process, which results in concentrated, natural flavours.
Pumpkin Konfyt, Spicy Pumpkin Konfyt, Pumpkin Konfyt with Chilli
As with all Konfyts, it is a classic on a cheeseboard. Also great for thinly sliced, on toast for breakfast. At the cooking school we cut it into small cubes to liven up a variety of dishes:
- Drizzle over pumpkin fritters or flapjacks with crispy bacon;
- Mix it into a roast pumpkin and beetroot salad, with toasted pumpkin seeds;
- Fold a little finely chopped Konfyt into the filling of pumpkin or ricotta ravioli;
- Use the spicy or chilli Pumpkin Konfyt for a delicious dip – cube and fold into equal quantities of smooth cottage and mayonnaise;
- Use the syrup to glaze Xmas gammon or Kastler chops.
- Sliced thin, it is perfect on a bacon, lettuce and cheese sandwich.