It’s hard to believe that we are already a quarter of the way into the year. Easter is just around the corner, and I’m sure that many of you are planning to go away. For those who are staying, we do however have a host of delicious classes on offer including Fun Thai, Mexican Salsas, dips and fillings (perfect dishes for al fresco dining and entertaining over Easter), and Classic French cooking. If you’re planning on doing some easy outdoor cooking to impress your friends, then this coming Sunday’s Outdoor Cooking Class is ideal. See below for details.
The May cooking class programme is now live. We Look forward to seeing you at one of the classes.
Looking for info on food?
If you have any food-related questions, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12 as this gives everyone hands-on experience and keeps the cooking class small enough for maximum learning. These cooking classes are conducted by our senior instructors who have extensive experience in the food industry and share a variety of additional cooking tips throughout the cooking class.
- Sunday 10 April at 4pm – Outdoor Cooking – poultry (R390pp). In this Outdoor Cooking Class, learn the secrets of outdoor cooking on Cadac kettlebraais and gas barbecues. Dishes covered in this class include whole roasted juicy chicken, how to smoke a chicken in a kettlebraai, tangy tomato marinade, chicken kebabs, quick and easy bread pockets, grilled vegetables and bananas with a chocolate sauce.
- Monday 11 April at 6pm – Fun Thai (R370pp). Easy no-fuss entertaining, is the theme of this Thai Cookery class, with up-front preparation, including chicken sâtés with a delicious peanut sauce, Thai wonton soup, steamed fish, green mango salad, Chiang Mai noodles and black rice with coconut.
- Sunday 17 April at 4pm – Mexican salsas, dips and fillings (R370pp). A delicious Mexican cooking class, perfect dishes for al fresco dining, including salsas, dips and fillings, for nachos, tostadas and tortillas.
- Monday 18 April at 6pm – Real Italian (380 pp). Slightly more advanced Italian cooking class with some real classics including melanzane, the best Italian fish soup ever, crepes filled with spinach and ricotta, braised chicken with mushrooms, and glazed bread pudding.
- Monday 25 April at 6pm – Classic French cooking (R380pp). This French cookery class is a perfect introduction to French cuisine including cheese soufflé, potato and leek soup, coq au vin, potato gratin, and tarte tatin.
- Lower in total fat
- Higher in beta-carotene
- Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
- Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- Higher in total omega-3s
- Better ratio of omega-6 to 3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)
- Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter
- Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA)
- Lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease
Kitchen Secrets by Raymond Blanc
Raymond is once again on television, in the BBC Series, Kitchen Secrets – a second part of this series has just been released. He has been filmed in the kitchens of his beloved Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, and out and about around the country, meeting many who share his passion and love of good food and good ingredients. And to complement the series he’s just released Kitchen Secrets, containing recipes from both series of Kitchen Secrets and more. In it he shares some of his classic recipes all achievable in the home kitchen.
.… Click Here for more information.
Food quote of the week
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relatives.” – Oscar Wilde
Grilled squid salad is always a favourite at Wickedfood Cooking School. Raymond Blanc’s juicy and colourful summer grilled squid salad with provençal vegetables, from his new book, Kitchen Secrets, is simple, satisfying and bursting with the flavours of Provence. You will certainly be able to taste our interpretation of a grilled squid salad in a future French cooking class at Wickedfood Cooking School.
Click Here for all our recipes.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.