This popular dish, with strong Chinese overtones, has a thick rich sauce, perfect with a bowl of rice. The sauce works just as well with pork or chicken.
1 tin coconut cream (reserve 3T for the garnish, see below)
3T fish sauce
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
3-4T Massaman or yellow curry paste
±1kg sirloin or rump or stewing steak, sliced into ±5mm strips, across the grain
1 cup roasted peanuts, ground
3T coconut cream (see above)
3T chopped coriander leaves
1. Mix together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large wok or pan. Add the onion and pepper, and stir-fry for ±2 minutes.
3. Add the curry paste and cook for ±1 minute.
4. Add the beef and sauté on high, until just browned (do not overcook).
5. Add the sauce and cook until it is thick. Add the ground peanuts and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with the coconut cream and shredded coriander leaves.
Wickedfood Cooking School in Johannesburg runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Cooking classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). This team building venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cookery classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.