Pumpkin Ricotta Ravioli is usually fairly complicated, a favourite vegetarian option in many Italian restaurants. In this recipe, taken from Donna Hay’s fast, fresh, simple, pasta is substituted by wonton wrappers, which reduces the preparation time substantially.
550g pumpkin, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
1 tablespoon oregano leaves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
sea salt and cracked black pepper
20 wonton wrappers
finely grated parmesan, extra, to serve
brown butter sauce
4 sprigs oregano
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place pumpkin on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Sprinkle with oil and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden.
- Combine the ricotta, parmesan, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Place 2 teaspoons of the ricotta mixture and 2 pieces of pumpkin on half the wontons.
- Brush the wonton edges with water and top with remaining wontons. Press the edges to seal.
- To make the brown butter sauce, cook the butter and oregano in a saucepan over low heat until butter is lightly browned and oregano is crisp.
- Cook the ravioli in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3–4 minutes or until al dente. Drain and serve with remaining pumpkin, brown butter sauce and extra parmesan
Click here for other recipes from the book.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients..