Tomato Passata Sauce
R55.00 – R60.00
At Wickedfood Earth Farm we grow over 10 different varieties of organic heirloom tomatoes. For this versatile sauce, we use a mix of different tomatoes, at the peak of their ripeness, which we skin and seed, to create a truly unique flavour profile that you won’t find in any of the cheap commercially available sauces.
- For the Standard Tomato Passata Sauce, a little salt as a preservative, nothing else.
- For the Spicy Tomato Passata Sauce, we add salt, garlic and chilli.
This tomato passata is made at Wickedfood Earth Farm. The food gardens and orchards at Wickedfood Earth Farm are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs, and the extensive orchards have over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens are internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we bottle all excess fruit and vegetables at the peak of their ripeness. All our fruit and vegetables are grown along organic lines, free of insecticides, fertilizers, or any other poisons. We hand-make small batches of tomato passata as well as a wide range of preservative-free preserves, jams, chutneys, relishes, and other bottled fruit. This ensures that, by not over-processing, the result is concentrated, natural flavours.
We suggest using the sauce on its own, or to liven up a variety of dishes for a quick meal:
- For a delicious, vegetarian, pasta meal for 4, boil up some penne. While the pasta is cooking, heat up a bottle of passata and add 1 cup (250ml) cream. Season to taste with salt and sugar and add 3-4T vodka or gin. Mix in the cooked pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- For a quick tomato soup mix 1 x 370ml bottle tomato passata, the same quantity (370ml) full cream milk, and 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle simmer (do not boil or it may curdle), season with salt and sugar, and serve. For a special dinner party starter, garnish each serving with a little Cherry Tomato Preserve
- Great as a tomato base for lasagne, or a bolognese sauce.
I used the tomato passata sauce on pizza bases to make delicious vegetarian pizza. The sauce gave the pizza a delicious tomato taste but not too overpowering. It's so fresh and yummy I could eat it out of the jar!