R55.00 – R90.00
Strawberries are a rich source of vitamin C, manganese and a number of trace elements. At Wickedfood Earth Farm we grow strawberries organically and harvest them at the peak of their ripeness. We then turn them into vinegar, by blending them with premium quality cider vinegar and sugar. We use no preservatives, artificial flavourants or colourants. Historically flavoured fruit vinegars were valued for their medicinal qualities, typically used to relieve coughs, fevers and colds.
The strawberries we use to make the Strawberry Vinegar come from Wickedfood Earth Farm. The strawberries come from our food gardens and orchards which are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs, and the extensive orchards have over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The food gardens are internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. We bottle all excess fruit and vegetables at the peak of their ripeness. All our fruit and vegetables are grown along organic lines, free of insecticides, fertilizers, or any other poisons. We hand make small batches of a wide range of preservative-free preserves, jams, chutneys, relishes, sauces, and bottled fruit. This ensures that our Strawberry Vinegar is not over-processed, a result that is concentrated with natural flavours. To see more vinegars we have, click here.
At the cooking school, we use the vinegar to:
- Add to fresh strawberries to enhance the flavour.
- Drizzle over vanilla ice cream – adds a depth of fruitiness and delicious flavour, seriously refreshing.
- Deglaze cooking pans after sautéing lamb or liver. It gives a fruity depth to the caramelised flavours in the pan. Mix in a few spoons of cream for a quick, thick, luxurious sauce.
- Pour over ice then fill up with mineral water or lemonade.
- G & T or sparkling wine – 1T adds a delicious fruitiness and colour.
- Beat into a salad dressing with olive oil and black pepper and use to dress spinach or mixed leaf and goat’s cheese salads.