A real retro dish with poached fresh peaches, berry sauce and ice-cream, and a firm favorite in the summer at our cooking classes. Use any peaches, they have a long season, through most of the summer. For yellow cling, peel with a knife. At the cooking school we often use Wickedfood bottled peaches in syrup for a quick dessert. Take care not to overcook the peaches, they must remain firm.
6 peaches (or 1 bottle Wickedfood Earth Farm whole peaches in syrup)
2 cups sugar
±150g fresh or frozen berries
1T lemon juice
- Make a cross on the base of each peach (for yellow cling, peel).
- Place the sugar and water in a pot and bring to the boil. Add the peaches and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes (or until the fruit is cooked, but still firm).
- Remove the peaches from the syrup, allow to cool, and then peel (if not using yellow cling).
- Increase the heat to high, reduce the syrup by half and then remove from the heat. (If not using straight away, return the peeled peaches to the cooled syrup and store in the fridge).
- (If using Wickedfood Earth Farm bottled peaches in syrup simply open the bottle and use some of the syrup for the sauce.)
- Liquidise the berries in a blender with 4T of the syrup and the lemon juice, until smooth.
- Place a peach in each serving bowl, add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and drizzle sauce over the top.