One of Southern Italy’s more famous dishes, with similar versions found in Yugoslavia, Greece and Turkey. Grilled aubergine is topped with mozzarella and tomato, One of the most popular Corporate team building menus made at Wickedfood Cooking School this starter is perfect for easy entertaining.
2-3 medium aubergines (about 1kg)
Oil for frying
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tins chopped tomatoes
±300g mozzarella cheese, sliced or grated
1T finely chopped oregano and/or basil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Slice the aubergines cross-ways ±5mm thick. Place in a big bowl of salted water and allow to stand for 15 minutes, Then gently squeeze dry and place in a dry bowl.
- While the aubergines are soaking, prepare the tomato sauce. Heat some oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and fry for a minute, then add the tomato, and stir, cooking until it has reduced to almost dry. Season with salt and sugar to taste.
- Heat ±1cm of oil in a frying pan, fry the aubergines until lightly coloured on both sides, and drain on paper towels.
- In a baking dish, make small stacks, starting with tomato then followed by a layer of aubergine, tomato and cheese, and then a sprinkling of oregano. Continue layering until all ingredients are used up, finishing with the cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven, and bake for 20 minutes, then allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.