What a wonder our electronic age is. For those of you who may not know, Wickedfood’s head-office is located on a farm out near Magaliesberg. Cell phones and the internet (with all its problems) really makes the world a much smaller place. It is also out here that we are busy building a country cooking school. All the walls are up and we are at present busy with the electrics. Opening is planned for July.
Winter is definitely here. It is really time for Sunday roasts and rustic stews. The recipe of the week, slow-roasted pork shoulder, is the real winner for Sunday entertaining of friends and family.
And for anyone who wants to get the lowdown on proper free range pork and what it tastes like, don’t forget our special 5-course dinner event, “A taste of veld raised pork,” see details below.
Looking for info on food?
If you have any food-related questions, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wickedfood Cooking School news
The Cooking class programmes for May and June are up on the internet, and bookings are now open. Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12, giving everyone hands-on experience and keeping the cooking class small enough for maximum learning. These cooking classes are conducted by our senior instructors who have extensive experience in the food industry and share a variety of additional cooking tips throughout the cooking class.
- Monday 13 May at 6pm – Gordon Ramsay – Cooking for Friends (R430pp). This Gordon Ramsay cooking class is based on his book Cooking for Friends. Love him or hate him, he certainly knows his food. In this book, we see a very different side of him, more relaxed, cooking some best-loved versions of classic British dishes for family and friends, including Shropshire summer soup, farfalle with bacon peas and sage, braised chicken thighs, new potatoes, pea and broad bean salad, spicy cauliflower stir-fry and a peach, raspberry and ginger crumble.
- Sunday 19 May at 4pm – Making filled pasta and accompanying sauces (R430pp). Making pasta is really easy, and fresh pasta tastes better too. Learn the secrets to making pasta from scratch in this pasta cooking class. We also include fillings and sauces for these unique pasta shapes. Dishes covered in the pasta cooking class include cheese and ham ravioli with a tomato sauce, meat filled agnolotti, spinach and ricotta tortellini, cappelletti filled with sweet potatoes and ravioli with apple and pecan nut stuffing.
- Monday 20 May at 6pm – The tastes of Spain (R430pp). Spanish cooking has popular roots. It is the people’s cuisine. Most of it is down-to-earth, uncomplicated food, based on the ingredients available locally or the crops grown regionally. One thing is for sure, food in Spain is fresh, abundant and full of taste and the Spanish love their food dearly. Join us in an introduction to Spanish cuisine in our Spanish cooking class including tortilla Espanola, salt cod fritters, gazpacho, paella, and almond tart
- Tuesday 21 May at 6pm – A taste of veld raised pork (R250pp) our special 5-course dinner event, you not only get to taste this great proper free-range pork, we will be sharing the secrets of how to best prepare the different parts of the pig. This will be an interactive sit-down dinner as opposed to a hands-on cooking class. At the end of the evening, we will also have limited cuts of pork for sale.
- Monday 27 May at 6pm – South African – A Taste of the Karoo (R430pp). The food of the Karoo was born out of necessity and created in hardship. Nowadays the cuisine is quite different and while the food is still very regional and the basics the same, sophistication is very much the name of the game. These unique flavours that have become synonymous with South African farm cuisine can be learnt in this South African cooking class. These dishes include chicken pie, bobotie, pumpkin fritters, mealie bread and koeksisters.
- Sunday 02 June at 4pm – Kylie Kwong’s Chinese kitchen (R430pp). With her easy charm and good looks, it is little wonder that second generation Chinese Australian Kylie has become a household television celebrity chef. Her food is deliciously uncomplicated. Her dishes that we cover in this Chinese cooking class include crispy skin chicken, stir-fried beef, spicy dry-fried green beans, deep-fried silken tofu, stir-fried rice noodles and steamed egg and ginger custards.
Cookbook of the week
The Art of Beef Cutting
A helpful skills book, with information on international beef cuts and cooking styles, tips on merchandising and cutting for profit, and expert advice on the best beef-cutting tools, illustrated with full-colour photos of every cut. A must book for every serious cook. … Click here to read more.
Click Here for reviews of all our cookbooks.
Food quote of the week
“The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.” – Calvin Trillin
Recipe of the week
A delicious slow-cooked pork roast, with apple cider and ginger beer, perfect for a no-fuss Sunday lunch for a big crowd. ….Click Here for all our recipes.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients. We’ve just launched a new and exciting class, Wickedfood Master Cook. Think Master Chef with a fun twist.