150g (2 small) soft bananas, mashed,
1/4 cup poppy seeds,
12 paper muffin cups,
125g soft butter,
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk or 3/4 cup (185ml) milk
12 paper muffin cups
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease the paper muffin cups and place into a 12-cup standard muffin pan.
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Fold in the coconut and buttermilk.
- Fold in the mashed banana and poppy seeds (or apricots and bran).
- Fold in the butter/sugar/egg mixture until just mixed (see introduction).
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan 3/4 full, and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested.
Makes ±12 of each
Wickedfood Cooking school runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studios. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.