Apart from hands-on cooking classes, from time to time we also run specialist gourmet meals, often in conjunction with Slow Food. On Sunday we organized a spring feast at Die Ou Pastorie restaurant in Skeerpoort, near Hartebeerspoort Dam. The function was a tremendous success and generated many enquiries. Out of this success, we have decided that we will run a feast to celebrate each season. The next one is planned for the end of January.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12 as this gives everyone hands-on experience and keeps the cooking class small enough for maximum learning. These cooking classes are conducted by our senior instructors who have extensive experience in the food industry and share a variety of additional cooking tips throughout the cooking class.
- Sunday 26 September at 4pm – Easy Asian dishes with a Chinese flavour (R390pp). Chinese cooking class – perfect for entertaining, with most dishes prepared in advance including wonton soup with noodles, chilli prawns, master stock chicken, Mu shu pork and ginger pudding.
- Monday 27 September at 6pm – Alfresco Italian dining (R380pp). Real Italian cooking class, tastes of al fresco summer dining and easy entertaining, including char grilled asparagus, affettati misti, insalata caprese, chicken involtini and Hanepoot semifreddo.
- Monday 04 October at 6pm – Gordon Ramsay – Cooking for Friends 2 (R390 pp). This Gordon Ramsey cooking class is based on his book Cooking for Friends. Love him or hate him, he certainly knows his food. In this book, we see a very different side of him, more relaxed, cooking some best-loved versions of classic British dishes for family and friends, including Shropshire summer soup, farfalle with bacon, peas and sage, braised chicken thighs, new potato, pea and broad bean soup, spicy cauliflower stir-fry and a peach, raspberry and ginger crumble.
- Tuesday 12 October at 6pm – Sushi 1 – The basics of sushi making (R395pp – maximum 18, so book early). The basics of sushi making – cutting fish, making rice, California and maki rolls, nigirizushi (finger), and hand rolls.
- Sunday 17 October at 4pm – Classic Italian dishes (R380pp). One of our favourite Italian cooking classes, preparing 6 hearty dishes including chicken liver crostinis, zucchini frittata, pasta with a clam sauce, Osso Buca, polenta and pannacotta.
Please contact the school should you wish to make a booking:
Looking for info on food?
If you have any food-related questions, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Spinach is packed with nutrients including iron, but the oxalic acid it contains makes it hard for the body to absorb the iron. Tea and coffee can also make it harder to absorb, so avoid that cuppa with your spinach supper. Drinking a Vitamin C-rich drink with your meal such as orange juice will help your body along.
In today’s fast world it is gratifying to know that more and more South Africans are returning to the land and becoming more aware of where their food comes from. Harvest, Recipes from an Organic Farm by Christine Stevens, is the story about a family’s journey from Cape Town city life to the good life on an organic farm. … Click Here for more.
Click Here to see Wickedfood Cooking School’s top 10 food-related books for 2010.
Food quote of the week
“Poetry is the synthesis of hyacinths and biscuits” – Carl Sandburg, American writer and editor
The green leaves of spinach, Swiss chard and turnips are exceptionally good for you. This recipe, from our Greek cooking class, uses spinach, together with feta cheese and pinenuts to make a delicious Mediterranean-inspired pie – Spanakopita. Serve with a simple rocket salad on the side, and for a more substantial meal, simply-roasted chicken or pan-fried fish fillets. …Click Here for the recipe.
The Wickedfood Team
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.