Valentines day around the world has become big business. The best way to someone’s heart though, is through their stomach, what better way to show your affection, than to cook them a beautiful meal – see our recipe suggestions, or join our Valentines’ dinner cooking class. At Wickedfood Cooking School our Valentines’ dinners with a difference for 14 February is already full, but we still have space for 6 couples for Saturday 16 February.
The building of our new cooking school in the country, Wickedfood Earth, is moving along very steadily. As mentioned in previous newsletters, we’ll be placing much more emphasis on sustainability, and teaching of skills. Our cookbook of the week, Jane Grigson’s Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery, sums up some of the ideas that we want to incorporate into classes at Wickedfood Earth.
At Wickedfood Cooking School our Valentines’ dinners with a difference still space for 6 couples for Saturday 16 February at 18h00.
Looking for info on food?
If you have any food-related questions, or a dish that you just can’t get right or even a certain recipe that you are looking for, but just can’t seem to find, then contact us and we will do our best to answer it as soon as possible. Click Here for more information. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wickedfood Cooking School news
The Cooking class programmes for February and March are up on the internet, and bookings are now open. Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes with a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 12 giving everyone hands-on experience and keeping the cooking class small enough for maximum learning. These cooking classes are conducted by our senior instructors who have extensive experience in the food industry and share a variety of additional cooking tips throughout the cooking class.
- Saturday 16 February at 6pm – Romantic Valentine’s dinner, easy summer entertaining (R840 per couple). Join the staff at the Cooking School with the love of your life for a Valentine’s dinner with a difference. Not only will you get to enjoy a delicious 4-course dinner, but you will learn the secrets of how to cook it. Included in the price is a welcome glass of sparkling wine, house wine while preparing the food, and some specialist wines, complementing the food, with the meal. Space is limited to 30 students per class, so book early. The menu will be as follows, oyster shooter, insalata caprese, Asian prawn soup, chicken involtini, mini vegetable filo pies, chocolate pots and white chocolate truffles.
- Monday 18 February at 6pm –Gordon Ramsay – Cooking for Friends (R430pp). This Gordon Ramsay cooking class is based on his book Cooking for Friends. Love him or hate him, he certainly knows his food. In this book, we see a very different side of him, more relaxed, cooking some best-loved versions of classic British dishes for family and friends, including broccoli blue cheese and pear soup, mushroom and barley risotto, poached fish fillets, roast rib-eye of beef, and pear and frangipane tart.
- Tuesday 26 February at 6pm –Sushi 1 – The basics of sushi making (R440pp – maximum 18, so book early). The increasing popularity of sushi around the world has resulted in many more people wanting to learn the basics of sushi making, this Sushi cooking class shows you how to do the following – cutting fish, making rice, California and maki rolls, nigirizushi (finger), and hand rolls.
- Sunday 03 March at 4pm –Easy Entertaining Indian style (R430pp). Indian food is a diverse and extraordinary one, reflecting a complex layering of cultures through history and based on religious beliefs, geography, climate and availability of ingredients. India’s range of cuisine can amaze even a connoisseur. Different regions in India offer their own specialties with their very own taste, subtlety and aroma. The exotic tastes, hues and textures of Indian food have ensured a steady growth in popularity in the West. Join us in discovering these incredible dishes in our Indian cooking class. Authentic Indian dishes including bhel puri, lamb korma, potato and cauliflower curry, chicken pulao and cheese balls in syrup.
- Monday 04 March at 6pm –30 Minute meals (R430pp). Trying to juggle work and home commitments can be tough in this day and age, and the statement of ‘who has time to cook these days’ is on the increase. In this ‘30 Minute meals’ cooking class we show participants how to produce quick and easy 30-minute meals that are delicious and well balanced. Dishes include; vegetarian Stir-fry, Red chicken curry, Pepper steak, Sun-dried tomato pesto, Fish with almonds, and Pizza.
Cookbook of the week
A guide- and a recipe book to the ancient art of Charcuterie. If you want to know how to make terrines, how to cure your own ham and make your own sausages, then this is the book for you. In addition, it describes how to braise, roast, pot-roast and stew all the cuts of pork. …. Click here to read more.
Click Here for reviews of all our cookbooks.
Food quote of the week
“This recipe is certainly silly. It says to separate two eggs, but it doesn’t say how far to separate them.” – Gracie Allen
Recipe of the week
What better way to show your affection to your loved one, than to cook them a mouth-watering meal. And to go the extra mile, choose ingredients with aphrodisiac qualities. This week we give you menu ideas and point you to a number of delicious website recipes. ….Click Here for all our recipes.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.