A delicious savoury tart with mozzarella, perfect for a buffet or as a starter, and ideal for vegetarian guests. This is also a great idea if you are wanting to make cocktail snacks, just use small muffin pans.
150g mozzarella, thinly sliced
500g punnet medium roma tomatoes, halved, or 4 large tomatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
1 packet basil leaves
±2T olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2T stale breadcrumbs
2T grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease a 23cm flan tin.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour to create a breadcrumb consistency. Add the egg yolk and mix in well, then add the cold water to make a dough that just comes together. Place in a plastic packet and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out and carefully press into the prepared flan tin. Prick well with a fork and bake in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until firm. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C. Allow to cool.
- Arrange the mozzarella slices over the base.
- Top with a layer of tomato, cut side up (overlapping slightly if using large tomatoes).
- Dip the basil leaves in the olive oil and arrange on the tomatoes, together with the garlic slices. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes. Serve at room temperature.
Wickedfood Cooking school runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studios. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.