A delicious warming soup for cold winter nights, spicy hot with South East Asian flavours – coconut milk, chilli and Curry paste. We like to use ether butternut or pumpkin. Make double portions as it freezers well.
400ml coconut milk
1-2T curry paste (or curry powder)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 – 2 small red chillies, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
±1,5kg pumpkin, cut into chunks
1,5L chicken or vegetable stock
Salt, pepper, sugar and nutmeg
Croutons to serve
- In a large saucepan, heat the cream from the coconut milk. Gently fry the curry paste till fragrant.
- Add the onions till soft. Add the chilli and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, remaining coconut milk and stock, cover, then simmer gently untill pumpkin is soft – ± 20 minutes.
- Purée the mixture, and return to the heat, season with salt, pepper, sugar and nutmeg.
- Serve with some fresh croutons which have been fried in a little olive oil and butter.
Serves 6 to 8