This recipe is great for all tougher beef roasts including brisket, chuck and rib roasts. Braise the meat with beer ether in the slow cooker if it fits, or overnight in an oven, covered in foil, which ensures a juicy moist roast. To finish, the roast in a hot oven to give it a nice crisp top layer, or you can skip this step and it will still be delicious.
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- Mix together all the spice rub ingredients.
- Rub it all over the meat, working into crevices. Wrap in cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
- Bring the meat back to room temperature, for about 1 hour, before cooking, and unwrap.
- Place the garlic, onion, beer and water in a slow cooker or roasting pan that will hold the roast, snugly. Add the meat and cover with foil. If cooking in the oven, heat the oven to 120°C. Cook for around 8 hours ether in the oven or a slow cooker.
- Drain the juices into a pot and boil until syrupy.
- Heat the oven grill. Place the meat, uncovered, fat side up, in the oven until top is browned and crisp, ±5 minutes, ensuring it dose not burn.