Lamb is popular around the world as a center piece for Easter Sunday festive lunches. Lamb is now at its best, try and get veld reared lamb if possible. For this simple Sicilian Easter dish, Cosciotto di Agnello con Patate, a leg of lamb is roasted over a bed of potatoes, a real no-fuss easy to prepare dish. What more do you need than roast lamb and potatoes, a nice big leafy salad and some crusty bread.
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2T crushed red chilli flakes
2T dried oregano
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3-4kg leg of lamb, trimmed
8 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
1T olive oil
- Heat oven to 250°C.
- In a bowl, combine oil, chilli flakes, oregano, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to make a paste. Rub paste over surface of lamb.
- Toss the quartered potatoes in the 1T olive oil, and place in a large roasting pan.
- Set lamb on a rack over the roasting pan and place in oven. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and continue cooking- 10 minutes per 500g for pink, 15 minutes per 500g for medium to well done. Baste the meat and toss the potatoes every 30 minutes.
- Let the lamb rest for 20 minutes, covered loosely by foil before carving. This gives the juices time to be re-absorbed into the meat. Let the potatoes continue to roast until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Serves 4 to 6
Other lamb recipes on the Wickedfood Cooking School blog include:
Click here for a selection of 50 different lamb recipes from Savour magazine.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built Johannesburg cooking studio. Cookery classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – teambuilding cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference. Our cooking lessons are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients. We’ve just launched a new and exciting class, Wickedfood Master Cook. Think Master Chef with a fun twist.