Tomato chilli jam
At Wickedfood Earth Farm we grow over 10 different varieties of organic heirloom tomatoes. For this savoury/sweet jam we use a mix of different tomatoes to create a truly unique flavour profile that you won’t find if using commercially grown fruit. To the tomatoes, we add garlic, ginger and fish sauce.
Perfect on a cheese board, or ham or cold meat sandwich, including smoked chicken, lamb and roast beef. At the cooking school we use it to liven up a variety of dishes:
- For a quick Asian curry or laksa, heat a tin of coconut milk in a pot. Add 2-3T of tomato chilli jam, 1-2T fish sauce and some lemon juice. Add some sliced chicken breasts, prawns, mussels or calamari and cook for ±5 minutes.
- For a warm meat salad, thinly slice some beef, pork or chicken fillets, or trimmed chicken livers, and marinade with a few spoons of tomato chilli jam. Heat some oil in a pan and quickly stir fry the meat till just cooked through. Remove from the pan and toss with shredded Chinese cabbage or lettuce, fresh coriander and chopped spring onion (add some shredded chilli for more heat). Deglaze the pan with equal quantities of fish sauce, lemon juice and water, add 1-2 T olive or sesame oil and use as a dressing.
- Mix with equal quantities of mayonnaise and smooth cream cheese, for a spicy dip for raw vegetables or chips.
- Fold a tablespoon or two into mayonnaise to give chicken, potato or cabbage salad a bit more zing;
- Serve on the side with chicken liver pâté, pork terrine or pork pies;
- Add to hamburgers and boerewors rolls with caramelized onion for a bit of zing;
- A great side with a good breakfast fry-up.
12 in stock
The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens and orchards are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs, and the extensive orchards have over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens are internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we bottle all excess fruit and vegetables at the peak of their ripeness. All our fruit and vegetables are grown along organic lines free of insecticides, fertilizers or any other poisons. We hand make small batches of a wide range of preservative-free preserves, jams, chutneys, relishes, sauces and bottled fruit. This ensures that we do not need to over process, which results in concentrated, natural flavours.
|Dimensions||7 × 7 × 11 cm|