Roasted Red Pepper and Egg Plant with Tomato
At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we call this summer in a bottle. We take red pepper and tomato, both picked at the height of ripeness, and roast, peel and coarsely chop. To this, we add fried eggplant, a few herbs and spices, and then bottle. The result is a great chunky medley of summer at its absolute best. Use it in winter when summer vegetables are scarce:
- On a mezze platter with good bread, cheese and cold meats;
- Over pasta for a quick and easy supper;
- As a filling for lasagne;
- Folded into couscous or rice for a hearty vegetarian meal, or for a more substantial meal add cooked left over chunks of roast chicken or leg of lamb.
- Fold into cubes of cooked potato or sweet potato, and warm through for a delicious hot potato side salad with a winter roast.
- Roasted fish. For a taste of the Mediterranean, place in a roasting dish, with a bottle of water and mix together. Bring to the boil. Cover with seasoned fish fillets, skin side up, and pop into an oven, pre-heated to 200°C. Roast for ±10 minutes, or until the fillets are just cooked through. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and serve with rice, couscous or roast potatoes.
- For a more elaborate one-pot meal, cover the fish fillets with a layer of cooked sliced potatoes and roast for ±20 minutes.
21 in stock
The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens and orchards are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs, and the extensive orchards have over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens are internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we bottle all excess fruit and vegetables at the peak of their ripeness. All our fruit and vegetables are grown along organic lines, free of insecticides, fertilizers or any other poisons. We hand make small batches of a wide range of preservative-free preserves, jams, chutneys, relishes, sauces and bottled fruit. This ensures that, by not over-processing, the result is concentrated, natural flavours.
|Dimensions||7 × 7 × 11 cm|