A fun day of cooking with a competitive edge, that really gets the group working as teams to put together a delicious meal at the end. And to make the event even more exciting Wickedfood will throw in R120 worth of prizes for each member of the winning team and a R40 consolation prize for each member of the losing team.
We divide the group into teams as follows (minimum charge for 16 people):
16 to 30 people – 2 teams (Team 1 gets to cook a chicken inspired main course and team 2 a vegetarian inspired dish)
31 to 60 people – 4 teams (Team 1 and 2 get to cook a chicken inspired main course, and team 3 and 4 a vegetarian inspired dish)
Prior to starting, teams compete with each other in a quiz competition to establish the team that gets first choice of ingredient boxes, which in turn determines the main course they would prefer to cook. Each team then gets a recipe file related to their ingredient box and draws up a final menu. Once the dishes are cooked, participants then sit down and enjoy all the dishes both teams have cooked (in the case of 31 plus participants there would be 2 winning teams).
At Wickedfood all our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the menu. Our cooking classes are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but also get to socialise. For corporate groups these classes are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.
Introduction (±30 minutes) – on arrival, our instructor will run through the workings of the kitchen and judging criteria, talk about the ingredients, and discuss recipe tips;
Quiz competition and strategizing (±30 minutes) – teams compete in a quiz competition to establish the team that gets first choice of ingredient boxes. Each team then draws up a menu from a recipe file based on their ingredient box;
Cooking (±90 minutes) – each team has exactly the same equipment and has 90 minutes to prepare the dishes. During cooking, our staff is on hand to assist and assess the different teams. Each team will prepare:
- a main dish for sharing by everyone (one group will cook a chicken based main course while the other will cook a vegetarian main course);
- a starch to complement the main dish;
- a vegetable or salad side dish for the whole group;
- Identical dessert for the team.
Meal (±1 hour, want to add extra time, no problem, add R33pp per hour or part thereof, subject to venue availability) – relax, network and enjoy the meal that they have prepared together.
- Ingredient and time usage;
- Neatest workers;
- Most creative dishes.
- All ingredients, notes and the use of our branded aprons. (We also have various coloured aprons for sale at R150);
- Limited soft drinks, and fruit juices. (See our terms and conditions below regarding alcohol)
- A prize for each member of the winning team as well as a consolation prize for every other participant. Wickedfood will put together a hamper made up of a collection of organically grown products from Wickedfood Earth, our sustainable farm in Hekpoort, made using traditional recipes and artisanal techniques.
(All menus are Halaal friendly)
Each team will cook main meals to accommodate the whole group.
Pasta Party – (code MBPasta 5/1) – R495 per person excluding VAT.
- Each team will make fresh pasta from scratch, which will involve kneading, rolling and shaping of the pasta.
- Team 1 (and Team 3 if more than 30 participants) will make a chicken inspired filling or sauce to accompany their pasta;
- Team 2 (and Team 4 if more than 30 participants) will make a filled pasta and/or vegetarian inspired sauce;
- Each team will make a different side dish to match their pasta dish;
- Each team will make the same dessert to cater for their team
Curry – (code MBCurry 5/1) – R495 per person excluding VAT.
- Team 1 (and Team 3 if more than 30 participants) will make a chicken inspired curry;
- Team 2 (and Team 4 if more than 30 participants) will make a vegetarian inspired curry;
- Each team will make a different side dish to match their curry dish;
- Each team will make their own Indian inspired flatbread to accompany their curry;
- Each team will make the same dessert to cater for their team.
By booking for a class it is understood that these Terms and Conditions are understood and accepted by all participants, and that the booking agent or organizer of the group has explained these Terms and Conditions to all participants.
- Class content may change from time to time.
- All classes have a maximum of 60 participants and a minimum of 16 participants.
Prior to arrival, we would ask the organiser to divide the group up into teams (or we would be happy to do it randomly, at your request), as follows (should you wish to divide the teams up into smaller groups, there will be a surcharge of R1 000 per counter to cover additional staff and operational costs):
- 16 to 30 participants – 2 counters
- 31 to 60 participants – 4 counters
- We supply all ingredients, extensive notes and the use of an apron to wear while cooking. At the end of the cooking, clients are invited to sit down and enjoy the food they have prepared, an ideal way of interacting with each other.
- As these are hands-on classes, we suggest that participants come comfortably dressed; preferably in jeans and T-shirt, with flat gym shoes, as leather soles are inclined to slip.
- Clients are welcome to bring their own beer, cider and wine only to the cooking classes (please deliver to the school premises – contact the school prior to delivery for directions). By prior arrangement (minimum 7 working days), we can order in wine, beer and ciders from our local liquor store with an added handling fee. Please discuss when making your booking. The School does not have storage facilities and all deliveries must take place no more than one working day prior to the event. If any alcohol is left over, collection must take place no more than one working day after the event. Any alcohol not collected on the day after the event will be disposed of. Please also note that we only have very limited fridge facilities for chilling drinks, and clients are advised to supply ice and a storage container to chill drinks for larger groups.
- As all of our classes are hands-on, our knives are sharp and we cook with gas, we need to ensure that participants are in full control of their actions at all times. Spirits are not allowed to be consumed on the premises. All cooking participants are asked to refrain from consuming alcohol prior to the class (any participants disregarding these stipulations, will be asked to terminate their participation immediately, and be removed from the property if necessary).
- The object of the school is to teach cooking skills in a fun environment, and the emphasis is on hands-on cooking, having fun and socialising. To ensure that our instructors have control, we are unable to accommodate individuals who are rowdy and unruly as this inevitably leads to a breakdown of the class creating an unpleasant environment for the rest of the group. We would look to the organizer of the group to make this clear to all participants and to control the group. The booking agent or organizer of the group will be held liable for costs arising from damages caused to property and equipment due to negligence on the part of unruly students.
- As these classes are very popular we would suggest that clients book at their earliest convenience. To confirm bookings we would require a 50% non-refundable deposit within 3 days of booking, with the balance paid not later than 14 days prior to the event (classes will not be run, and we reserve the right to re-sell the date, if full fees are not received 14 days prior). Once bookings have been confirmed, no changes to the dates will be considered if these changes are made less than 14 days prior to the original date, and no refunds will be considered. No refunds will be considered for a decrease in numbers within 7 working days of the booked date.
- In the event of a confirmed booking being cancelled by the client, they will be liable for all legal fees arising out of the non payment of the invoice.
- Classes are run in the mornings and afternoons anytime from ±09h00 (or at times convenient to our corporate clients), and in the evening, starting at 18h00, and run for 3½ hours, including eating the meal prepared, at the end of the class. A R33 per person charge per hour (or part thereof) overtime levy will be added to all invoices where groups arrive late and/or stay longer than 3½ hours or later than 21h30 (prior arrangements must be made with the booking clerk prior to the function). Due to the high demand for the school, classes need to be turned around promptly, to enable our staff to set up for the next group. This may result in your class having to be cut prematurely short if your group arrives late.
- Although every precaution has been taken to ensure the safety of participants, their belongings and their vehicles, Wickedfood Cooking School and its staff cannot be held responsible for any injuries or other mishaps that may occur while on the premises. By requesting an invoice to book a class it is understood that these Terms and Conditions are understood, and accepted by all participants and that the booking agent or organizer of the group has explained these Terms and Conditions to all participants.