Q: I often have trouble getting my mash potato light and fluffy, What do you think the problem could be? I often buy pre-made mash and its always lovely and creamy.
A: Once you learn how to make mash the right way you will only ever make it and you will never want to buy store bought mash. As far as store bought mash they will often use creamers and who knows what else and thats how they make it so smooth, Below is a easy to follow recipe that we at Wickedfod Cooking School use in our kitchen skills class.
4 large or 6 medium potatoes
2T olive oil or butter
1/2 cup milk
1 clove garlic, crushed to a paste (optional)
1/2 cup pecorino cheese, finely grated (optional)
- Peel potatoes and quarter (even sized pieces) and put into a bowl of cold water.
- Place in a pot, cover with water, add salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes (until a clean toothpick passes smoothly through). Take care not to overcook.
- Drain in a colander for a few minutes, return to the pot and mash.
- Add the oil or butter and mix in well. Gradually add the milk, ensuring that the mixture does not become too sloppy. Add garlic, chives, cheese and salt to taste.
– spread over mince to make cottage pie, or over fish for fish pie.
– tablespoons of potato can also be rolled into balls or cylindrical shapes,
dusted with flour and rolled in breadcrumbs and deep-fried.
Wickedfood Cooking school runs Johannesburg cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Cooking lessons are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our cookery classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.