At Wickedfood Earth Farm we produce our own hot-smoked hams. All our hams are individually produced from the whole hind leg of the animal, according to age-old methods. As we do not use any preservatives, or liquid smoke they take time to make ±14 days. They are cured in a brine, hot smoked, thick sliced and vacuumed in 200g packs before being flash frozen to lock in flavour, so ready to eat. Apart from being an important addition to the perfect ham and cheese sandwich, it is also a great addition to an alfresco menu. Try the following cold sauce recipe, a classic Italian dish best prepared ±12-24 hours ahead of serving to allow the flavours to develop.
200g hot smoked sliced ham
1 1/2 cups homemade mayonnaise
200g tinned tuna in oil
5 flat anchovy fillets
3T lemon juice
±1/2 cup olive oil
Salt, if necessary
±2T parsley, chopped
1 lemon cut into thin rings
- Prepare the mayonnaise in a food processor.
- To the mayonnaise add the tuna with its oil, the anchovies, lemon juice and the capers, and pulse until well blended.
- With the motor running, add the olive oil, until the mixture attains a creamy consistency. Adjust the seasoning if necessary (remember the capers, anchovies and ham are salty, so possibly no extra salt is necessary).
- Spread a layer of the sauce on the base of a serving plate. Cover it with the sliced ham, followed by the remaining sauce. Cling wrap and leave in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight
- Garnish with chopped parsley, capers and sliced lemon.