Class 1 – A taste of tradition (code – SA Trad 3/1) – (R 5 050 per counter excluding VAT – maximum 3 counters).
A blend of South Africa’s best known dishes, reflecting the diversity of the various ethnic groups, and also showcasing the crossover of flavours between the various traditions. Halaal friendly
• Samoosas – popular amongst both Cape Malay and Indians as a festive 3-sided pastry snack.
• Spicy lentil soup – originating from India, this dish has become a fresh shebeen winter warmer.
• Tomato bredie – with a slight sour taste, made with chicken, beef or lamb, variants of the dish are found
amongst the Cape Malays and in the shebeens around the country.
• Chakalaka – a vegetable stew with varying degrees of chilli, popular as a cheap street food with pap.
• Pap and spinach – a stiff porridge, the spinach adding both texture and flavour.
• Milk tart – a popular baked milk custard pie, with a strong cinnamon flavour.