1kg short ribs (Find ones with a good fat-meat ratio)
Salt and pepper to season
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalk, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 anchovy fillets
2 bay leaves
¼ cup bourbon (or other whiskey)
2T tomato paste
1½ cups water
1T soy sauce
1/3 cup pomegranate molasses (or regular molasses)
fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Heat the butter and oil in a large casserole dish over medium heat.
- Season the short ribs and brown (about 3 minutes each side) in the casserole. Remove the ribs and set aside.
- Add the onion, and cook to translucent.
- Add the carrot, celery, garlic and anchovy and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, bourbon, tomato paste, water, soy sauce and pomegranate molasses. Return ribs, cover, bring to the boil and place in oven on center rack. Cook for ±2 hours or until the meat is soft.
- Serve with rice or cuscus.
Wickedfood Cooking School runs Johannesburg cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. We offer a variety of Cooking Classes. Cooking lessons are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and team building cooking classes these classes are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.